PivaBend for Panels
Panels are the most typical parts of bent products. Product profile can vary from simple square angle one bend tray to complex lighting fixtures with several variable bends up and down or big radius in series to form flanges on those etc. They can be used as door leaves for door assembly, ceiling tiles, in steel furniture as sides or shelves and in many equipment as casing sides and tops to give the product final outlook and protection.
Typical products for the PivaBend Bending Center:
Shop fitting, office and kitchen furniture, steel doors, fascade cladding, electrical cabinets, telecommunication distribution cabinets, lighting fixtures, lockers, shelves, furnaces and air handlers.
The challenge is to bend panels made of different materials and sheet thicknesses both in big batches and on one-off basis. When producing panels in large series, some manual set ups are accepted. However, when producing all panels of the end product subsequently, no manual set ups may exist.
Typical reasons for developing bending processes are growing capacity needs, cost efficiency in production and quality requirements with strict tolerances.
Starting point is also the use of several press brakes, panel benders or forming presses in manufacturing which all require operators to attend the machine, handle material, position work pieces and unload the parts by hand and more efficiency is required. Cycle times, batch sizes and set up times affect the cost a lot.
PivaBend Bending Center meets these challenges as follows:
- The loading of blanks is done automatically by feeding them straight from the punching center or with a de-stacker from a blank storage. PivaBend benders work according to the wing forming principle which prevents any marking of sensitive surface or wear on the tooling.
- In the PivaBend bending center both parallel sides are bent first.
- The parallel ends are bent separately in following station for the minimum cycle times.
- Feeders and folding tools are all CNC controlled.
- Programming of next part is prepared while the line is running.
- Depending on how the PivaBend bending center is equipped, the Hold Down tools for bending the ends of panels are set by hand using the quick change clamping or by setting the Hold Down tools automatically using the Automatic Tool Changer (ATC). See the video!
- Other set up for the machine is the bending radius affected by the tool clearance adjustment which can be carried out manually or straight from the program.
Loading of blanks for bending
When loading PivaBend bending center with blanks from a storage system, there is an automated de-stacker in place. The Trolleys for pallets can be fixed or motorized, equipped with rails on the top of the floor.
Bending station for the sides
The bending station for sides is well suited for narrow work pieces on which the bottom width is small. The FLN type of bending station is designed to bend two parts up to 1 250 mm width at the same time. Wider parts [up to 1500 mm) are bent one at the time. On the FLN bending station the bending units are stationary and the transport of the work piece between the bending units is taken care by CNC gripper feeders.
Referencing of the blank is against datum pins prior to the first bend.
In straight bending centers, there is a Turning table between the bending stations for the sides and for the ends and the work piece is brought into the bending station of the ends with a CNC gripper feeder.
In the bending centers where the bending station for the ends is mounted in 90° angle, the work piece is transported on conveyor belts.
Bending station for the ends
The bending station for the ends consists of two with the CNC traversing wing formers. Both ends are bent simultaneously for minimum cycle time. Panels are referenced between the benders prior to the bending cycles.
Discharge of panels
Panels are discharged and stacked typically by hand. However, robots have been used for loading of blanks for bending and for palletizing of panels.